logo bianco

St. Sisto Church

Town: Caldonazzo

Mentioned in 1345 in the occasion of an acquittal of the crime of usury, it depended on the Pieve di Calceranica and was rebuilt in the eighteenth century. The Church has five chapels on each side. The first altar on the right houses a large wooden statue of the Guardian Angel of Ortisei; the following is marble with an altarpiece of the eighteenth century (at the pulpit an eighteenth-century painting). The main altar is by Cristoforo Benedetti di Castione (1732), while the altarpiece, hanging on the left side of the presbytery, is signed by Laurentius Florentinus (1631). On the opposite wall are walled up the funerary monuments, paired, of Osvaldo Trapp and Maria Anna Thun (1641) with their respective coats of arms and Sebastiano Carlo Trapp canon. The choral stalls of the apse date back to 1824. The two large fragments of the Christian tombstone of the sixth century, found in 1872 on the Brenta hill were transported here in 1976. The first altar on the left is made of marble with nineteenth-century canvas. The altar that follows, of polychrome marble with two Trapp coats of arms on the columns, houses in a large wooden frame with golden vine shoots the canvas of the Madonna del Divino Amore by Raphael. The paintings of the Via Crucis are by Domenico Zeni di Bordolino (XVIII century).

The organ, kept in a delightful case quietly of empire style, is an authoritative work of the Serassi brothers from Bergamo and is the only one that has remained in Trentino of that illustrious family of organ builders.

The church is patriated by a painting of the Nativity by Eugenio Prati (1898).

The Church is open every day.
unchecked checked
Request information
What kind of holiday suits you best?
Personal data will be processed lawfully in following what stated in the personal data protection law. All information available in the Privacy Policy.