logo bianco

St. Carlo Church

Town: Pergine Valsugana
This church has been documented since 1339 and in that time it was dedicated to Saint Nicholas of Tolentino. 

It was the church of the “Confreres of the good death”, also called Battuti because they publically practised self-flagellation, prohibited by the bishops of Feltre in 1759. The church of Saint Nicholas was also used to preach in German for the German-speakers of Pergine and of the Val dei Mocheni.

In 1615 (year engraved above the portal) it was restored and dedicated to Saint Carl Borromeo and has since been called Church of Saint Carl.

In 1938, on the outside, towards the western side, 11 tombstones of different origins were placed. In 1981 during the restorations, some frescos dating back to the begining of the 15th century were found by a bohemian painter: they are probably the most ancient ones of the area of Pergine.

The church can be visited by appointment, calling the Nativity of Mary parish in Pergine tel (0039) 1461 531135 
unchecked checked
Request information
What kind of holiday suits you best?
Personal data will be processed lawfully in following what stated in the personal data protection law. All information available in the Privacy Policy.