logo bianco

St. Peter and Paul Church

Town: Roncegno Terme

The current archpriest church, dedicated to SS. Apostles Peter and Paul, was built between 1757 and 1782, designed by the Lombard architects Bianchi.

It is in Renaissance Baroque style with a single nave with four side chapels. From the apse stands the monumental high altar by the Venetian architect Temanza, embellished by the altarpiece by Francesco Guardi "The Holy Trinity appears to Saints Peter and Paul" which dates back to 1778.

On the sides of the presbytery, you can admire two large frescoes by the Fiemmese painter Valentino Rovisi, a pupil of Tiepolo, and his daughter Vincenza: the right one represents the fall of Saulo on the road to Damasco, the left the fall of Simon Mago. Also, by Rovisi is the great fresco of the nave: The Ascension of Jesus into Heaven.

On the right you can see the altar dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, with a wooden statue: above the tympanum of the side door, in a niche, there is the statue of San Domenico and on the opposite wall the statue of San Giuseppe. Continuing, we find the altar of The Mary of the Rosary and the main altar, both in marble. On the sides of the tabernacle, in two niches, until a few years ago there were two Este ceramic statuettes, works by Gerolamo Franchini, representing the Immaculate Conception and S.Giovanni the Evangelist. Due to their value and removability, they are now stored in a safe place.

 On the ceiling of the presbytery are painted the four evangelists with their symbol, by G. Battista Chiocchetti of the late nineteenth century. On the presbytery, for some years, an expressive crucifix of the seventeenth century has been placed: it seems to have been made by a certain Carlo Boninsegna in Roncegno. On the other side of the nave there is the altar dedicated to the Annunciation with an eighteenth-century painting by an unknown author, an altar from the church of the SS. Trinità in Trento, built in 1690 by the Vicenza sculptor Giovanni Merlo. Just below is the stucco pulpit with a beautiful canopy, by Giovanni Caminada from 1796. The last altar is the altar San Crocefisso a white marble by Guglielmo Montini.

On the choir, in a late eighteenth-century box, there is a Pugina organ from Padua, inaugurated in 1931. The bell tower was built in less than two years, from 1886 to 1888, about sixty meters high, wanted by the archpriest Don Petris, designed by the Nordic engeneer.

In the new bell tower were then placed seven bells cast from the Chiappani foundry in Trento. They were confiscated with the war of '15-'18, then the new bronzes were blessed on October 28, 1922, by the parish priest Don Meggio.

In the space between the church and the bell tower, in the 90s, a small chapel was built containing a beautiful canvas depicting the Madonna Assunta, by Massimiliano Gallelli from Cremona.

unchecked checked
Request information
What kind of holiday suits you best?
Personal data will be processed lawfully in following what stated in the personal data protection law. All information available in the Privacy Policy.