logo bianco

St. Biagio Church

Town: Levico Terme
The Church of San Biagio is the real architectural jewel, located on the homonymous hill near Levico Terme, is located in considerable archaeological area.

The church, an altitude of 570 meters, is dedicated to San Biagio, probably bishop of Sebaste in Armenia, whose martyrdom dates back to 316. Near the current church, there was a castelliere of the second half of the Iron Age shown by the discovery of numerous finds and ceramics of the Sanzeno type. In the sixteenth century it was called "castellaro" and was a bishop's fief in Trentino. Recent excavations have led to delimit the site occupied by the castelliere, finding further finds from the Roman era as well as human bones. Next to the thirteenth century church, you can see the ruins of a hermit, where still in the eighteenth century lived a hermit, guardian of the church and "monk" of the parish of Levico.

The church consists of a single nave preceded by a large portico (porch) and concluded by a polygonal apse, covered by ribbed vaults. The nave frescoed (XII century) on both walls and with a wooden trussed roof, dates back to the most ancient era, while the pronaos, under which recent restorations are bringing to light very interesting frescoes not yet identified and in the subsequent extension (1506) were added the apse. The hall, the oldest part, is divided from the apse by a round arch.

Bishop Neideck had the church enlarged, building the current apse with round windows. In the extrados of the arch of the apse, between the medallions with the figures of Abraham and David on the left, and Moses and Isaiah on the right, the Neideck coat of arms is painted. The frescoes of the Church of San Biagio, arranged along the walls and inside the apse, are the result of different interventions that took place between the fourteenth and sixteenth centuries.

In recent times Nicolò Rasmo (1971-'79-'82) took care of the frescoes of San Biagio and he recognized in the "Four Saints" the oldest intervention, assigning it to an unknown Venetian painter of considerable level, working at the beginning of 1300. It is an example of precious painting in relation to the Verona environment. The frescoes of the apse executed shortly after 1506 on the occasion of the enlargements of the Church, in homage to Prince Bishop Giorgio di Neideck (1505 – 1514), whose insignia, three transverse shells on a white background, appear on the holy arch (Cetto 1952), are attributed by Morassi (1926) to a Friulian painter similar to the school of Domenico da Tolmezzo.

Information opening hours 2024

The church is open every Tuesday from 3:30 PM to 6:30 PM from June 11 to September 16, 2024
Extraordinary evening openings on July 12, 19, 26 and August 2, 9 and 23, 2024 from 8:00 PM to 10:30 PM.

For further visits you can contact the number +39 340 6267017

unchecked checked
Request information
What kind of holiday suits you best?
Personal data will be processed lawfully in following what stated in the personal data protection law. All information available in the Privacy Policy.