logo bianco

Church of the Redentore

Town: Levico Terme

In Sonnino Square there is this grandiose church (75 m long, 34 m wide transept, 39 m high), built in 1872 on a design by Leopoldo Claricini of Gorizia in place of the old church of Saints Vittore and Corona, rebuilt in the thirteenth century and once dependent on the Pieve di Calceranica.

The old church had a single nave, four bays, painted in turquoise quilted with stars, with the apse frescoed by beautiful stories. Of the ancient church remain, among other things, two admirable relics, two jewels of art, the two altars of the current church recomposed in the transept which, by reflection, can suggest how beautiful and rich in art it was.

The current building has a Latin cross, with three naves, transept and polygonal apse, in neo-Romanesque style with Byzantine and Gothic elements. The apse dome is 39 meters high. The interior decoration is by the painters Devigili and Tevini (1908), the Via Crucis by G.B. Chiocchetti (1885).

The monumental high altar (1927) is by the architect Tomasi with a large crucifix by Giuseppe Rungaldier and four important wooden statues (1884). The eight altars are made of marble partly from the old church.

The altar of Saints Victor and Corona (seventeenth century) is one of the most beautiful: it was the high altar of the old church and is rich in marble, statues (evangelists, angels, saints,...) and ornaments.

The altar of the Immaculate, also reappeared from the old church, is baroque, marble, with the coat of arms of Giannettini (seventeenth century) and a wooden statue of the Immaculate in the niche.

At the bottom, on the left, there is the arcosolium (1946) by Monsignor Domenico Caproni of the Counts of Tagliedo da Massone D'Arco, the builder of the temple. The sarcophagus is of striated Carrara marble, the mosaic of Gianese of Venice (1946).

It is also part of the church an altarpiece by Andrea Pozzo depicting St. Joseph with Child and Angels. The organ, located behind the high altar, is by Lingiardi da Padova (1855).

The bell tower, detached from the church, has a tapered stone base, large windows above the clock, hanging balcony and eighteenth-century pear-shaped spire. At its feet is the Monument to the Fallen by Aldo Caron (1952).

The Church is open every morning until 12 noon and from 2 pm until evening.


Every day at 18.00

Sunday 10.30 am and 6.00 pm

unchecked checked
Request information
What kind of holiday suits you best?
Personal data will be processed lawfully in following what stated in the personal data protection law. All information available in the Privacy Policy.